I enjoyed the short story, “A House of My Own,” because the author, Cisneros talks about her first house of her own to call it a home. She is becoming an independent woman and learning the meaning of the word home. It is a house that only have has a woman’s touch, not a man’s or a father’s. She has her own things that make it cozy and comfortable and pretty. She is happy that she has her own home and doesn’t have to pick up after anyone. I guess the author enjoys coming home to the quietness. My sister got her first apartment few months ago. It is pretty nice and she did all for herself without a man’s touch or father’s touch. She has a job and a car and a sports bike. She is a responsible person. Some day in the future I will own my own home and be independent too, preferably after I graduated from college and get the job that I really want.
To me, the story “Saturday at the Canal” is about Soto when he was around 17, I think he when he is a senior. He says that the teachers are too old to understand the teenagers because their culture and language is different than the teens. Soto is reminiscing about him and his friend sitting at the canal talking about wanting to get out of their town to San Francisco. They wanted to be with the people that understood them and wanted to do something with their life instead of regretting it and not doing anything. I am guessing that Soto and his friend is sitting on the Canal years later wondering why they never got out of their town, when they could have had the chance. It makes me think that sometimes the choices I make I will regret later. Currently I am on the right path to my future of becoming a teacher. But every once in a while I do think of getting away for a while and do the things I wanted to do like backpack through Europe. Sometimes I just want to get away from my daily life because I feel like society tells us what to do; go to school, graduate, go to college, graduate, find a job, find husband/wife, have kids, retire. We are made to have fun and be yourself, not what the society tells us to be. Suppose you are a senior in high school and you were rebellious. Do you want to get out of your town and just get away from all the rules and just start fresh somewhere?
No comments:
Post a Comment